American Express is known for it’s high class credit card clientele, but they have also joined in on the prepaid card market. Their new addition to their list of prepaid cards is the American Express for Target Card.
The American Express for Target Card is prepaid and reloadable, which means you only spend what’s loaded on the Card. There are no credit checks or overdraft fees so everyone is eligible for a card. You can purchase this card from Target stores and the can be used anywhere American Express is accepted.
How The Card Works
This card can be used to make purchase, pay bills or shop online. In order to use the card you must first load funds to the card and the available balance will be the amount you load. You can manage your account online so you always know how much money you have to use. You can also use this card to make ATM withdraws or get cash back when making a purchase. There are fees and a cost for the card which you can view in the Fees section.
Loading Funds To The Card
There are three ways you can load fund to your card. You can load funds at a Target store, online, or by phone. Here’s a rundown of how it works:
- At The Store: You can load funds at any target store for $3.00 per load. You must have your ID with you.
- Online: You can load funds to your card from an existing bank account. You just log into americanexpress.com/target and select “Load Funds”. You can do this as a one time transaction or schedule recurring reloads. Depending on the funding source there is not a charge for this.
- By Phone: You can also load funds to your card over the phone. First you have to set up your bank account as your funding source. This can be done online. When you call to make the transfer you must have your American Express for Target Card and the last four digits of your bank account.
Unique Amex Benefits
Amex is upping the prepaid card game by offer unique benefits that we don’t see with other cards. Here is an overview of some of the cardmember benefits:
If you make an eligible purchase with this card and the item accidentally breaks or is stolen, you can be reimbursed.
As a cardmember you are automatically given Roadside Assistance. If your car breaks down you just call Amex and they will send help.
Global Assist Services
Cardmembers who are traveling more than 100 miles from home and need assistance, contact Amex and they can direct you to medical and legal professionals, help with lost passports, and more.
American Express 24-Hour Customer Service
The American Express Customer Service line is available and free. Some prepaid cards charge for this service. They can be reached 24/7 at 1-888-872-9105.
If your Card is lost or stolen, you will not pay for fraudulent charges.
Discounts and Special Offers
As an American Express for Target Cardmember, you have access to hundreds of discounts and special offers.
As with all prepaid cards there are fees you should be aware of. Below we have listed some of the fees, but for a complete list you should view the card terms and conditions.
- $3 Loads at Target Stores
- $3 ATM withdrawals
- 1 Free ATM withdrawal per month
How To Get A Card
Currently, you can only get a American Express for Target Card by visiting a Target store. There are no credit requirements – you just have to be 18 and a U.S. citizen. As soon as you get the card and load funds the cards is ready to be used.