The Visa® Prepaid Debit Card with 1-2-3 REWARDS® is a prepaid card created by Kroger. It rewards you all your purchases, but rewards you more for your Kroger purchases. One of my favorite perks of this card is the savings on fuel. You get to save an extra 5¢ per gallon at Kroger Fuel Centers when you use your card. This fuel savings is for a limited time and it requires you to spend a minimum of $100 at Kroger Family of Stores.
- Manage Your Card Online: 24/7 access can help you stay on your budget.
- No Overdraft Fees: You can’t spend more than your balance.
- Sign Up for Text and Email Alerts: Get your card balance conveniently.
- Pay Bills Online: Save time and avoid money orders, cash payments, and late fees.
- Direct Deposit: Fast, easy and FREE.
Earning Points with your Card
I like the fact that this card gives you three different ways to earn. You can earn for non-Kroger purchases, Kroger stores purchases and Kroger brand product purchases. Here’s a breakdown of how it works:
- 1 point per $1 spent outside our stores
- 2 points per $1 spent inside the stores
- 3 points per $1 spent on our own family of brands
How to Redeem 1-2-3 REWARDS
Once you earn $1,000 points you get $5 off in groceries. 1-2-3 REWARDS coupons are earned and delivered to you monthly. To use your coupons, scan the bar code on the back of your Personalized Card when making purchases in our stores. Coupons can only be redeemed at a participating Kroger Family of Stores location. Your cashier will remind you when you have coupons available.
How To Add Money
You have to add money to the card before you can make a purchase. There are three ways to add money: with cash at a checkout lane, direct deposit, and a ReCharge Card™. Here are all the details:
- Add Cash at checkout: At any Kroger checkout lane you can ask the associate to load $10 to $1,000 to your card. There is a $3 for this and the money is immediately available on your card. This is convenient, but $3 could get expensive.
- Direct Deposit: This is always the best way to load money because it’s free. You can have up to $1,500 from your paycheck directly loaded onto your card. Your funds will be available on your normal payday. To get started you just have to visit the Visa® Prepaid Debit Card with 1-2-3 REWARDS® site and print off a form.
- Use a ReCharge Card™: You can purchase ReCharge Card at a participating Kroger® store. Take a ReCharge Card to the cashier and you can load any amount of cash from $10 to $1,000. There is a $3 fee for the card. After you buy the ReCharge Card you have to log in to your card account or call 866-265-8419 to transfer your funds to the card.
It’s always important to take a good look at the card fees. Many prepaid cards have high fees so you have to review the fees and make sure they fit your spending habits. Overall, I don’t think the fees for this card are too bad. Let’s take a look.
There are 3 main fees to be concerned with – Monthly Maintenance Fee, Cash Reloads and ATM Withdraw.
- Monthly Maintenance Fee: $3 – this will be charged each month.
- Cash Reloads: $3 – you can avoid this fee by using direct deposit.
- ATM Withdraw: $2 – every time you make an ATM withdraw it will cost you $2. You do have the option to get Cash Back at the point of sale and there is no charge for this.
Since you can avoid the cash reload fee, the fee I would focus on is the ATM withdraw fee. If you know you are going to make several withdraws then I would not suggest this card. This fee can add up and before you know it you will be spending too much on card fees.
Overall, the fees for the Visa® Prepaid Debit Card with 1-2-3 REWARDS® aren’t that bad (if you don’t make ATM withdraws). Even the $3 month fee might be worth it because of the rewards you earn. It all depends on how you use the card. To see a complete list of the card fees click here.
Apply for the Visa® Prepaid Debit Card with 1-2-3 REWARDS®
Anyone can apply for this card regardless of credit history. You just have to fill out an online application. Be prepaid to provide all your personal information such as your social security number.