Wells Fargo EasyPay Card Review
The Wells Fargo EasyPay Card is a card with a simple fee structure. A solid choice among brick and mortar bank cards, but with no special perks for their existing customers. And you need to be in the Wells Fargo service area.
Wells Fargo EasyPay Card Overview
Wells Fargo offers a competitive choice among brick and mortar bank prepaid cards with its EasyPay Card. Its monthly fee of $5 puts it on par with other traditional bank prepaid cards like Chase Liquid ($4.95/mo.) and Fifth Third’s Access 360 ($4/mo.) cards and with some non-bank cards like the Walmart MoneyCard ($5/mo.).
But it falls short of those competitors in one respect. It doesn’t offer a way to eliminate the monthly fee through meeting a minimum load amount like the Access 360 card or the Walmart MoneyCard. Somewhat more surprising is that the EasyPay Card doesn’t waive the fee for customers with a Wells Fargo checking account like the Chase Liquid and Access 360 cards do.
The EasyPay Card offers all the basic features of a prepaid card offered by a traditional bank–like free ATM transactions at Wells Fargo ATMs and mobile access to the card account.
But like other bank cards, its target customer is limited to those in the bank’s service area. Going to a Wells Fargo branch or ATM is the only way to load cash to the card. And free ATM withdrawals, one of the benefits of the card, are available only at Wells Fargo ATMs.
The Wells Fargo EasyPay Card is a Visa-branded debit card. As such, it can be used for purchases anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. Like most other prepaid cards, the EasyPay Card offers text/email alerts and free direct deposits and bank account transfers to the card.
It also offers:
- Mobile App: Wells Fargo has a well-received mobile app for Android and Apple devices, earning user ratings of 4.4 and 4.8 stars, respectively. It can be used for the EasyPay Card to see transaction history, set alert preferences, and deposit checks to the card.
- Extended Fraud Protection: Wells Fargo extends protections against unauthorized use of the card beyond what’s required by federal law and offered by many other prepaid cards. You’re protected against losses from unauthorized transactions if you report them to Wells Fargo within 60 days.
Like other prepaid cards, the EasyPay Card has limits on the maximum card balance, ATM withdrawals, and spending. But unlike other cards, it doesn’t disclose them in its terms. Instead, Wells Fargo determines the limits after you apply. It notifies you of the limits when you receive the card.
That’s unfortunate for those considering the EasyPay Card and makes it difficult to make an informed decision about the card.
The Wells Fargo EasyPay card has no activation fee and a reasonable $5 monthly fee. As a nice promotional offer, Wells Fargo waives the monthly fee for the first two months.
The card also offers free ATM transactions at Wells Fargo ATMs. Withdrawals at other ATMs come with a fee of $2.50; balance inquiries cost $2.00. ATM transactions at non-Wells Fargo ATMs will also have an additional fee charged by the ATM owner.
The card doesn’t charge purchase transaction fees or an inactivity fee.
How to Load Money on the Wells Fargo EasyPay Card
You can load money on the EasyPay Card using
- Direct Deposit: Paychecks and government benefits checks can be loaded on the card via direct deposit without a fee.
- Checks: You can deposit checks on the card through the mobile app, at a Wells Fargo branch, or through a Wells Fargo ATM. Check deposits are free.
- Online Bank Transfer: If you have a bank account, you can transfer funds to the EasyPay Card online for free.
- Cash Reload: You can load cash only at Wells Fargo ATMs or branches. Both are free. You can find Wells Fargo locations here.
You can get cash at ATMs with your EasyPay Card. There is no fee when using Wells Fargo ATMs. Using other ATMs costs $2.50 plus any charge by the ATM operator.
Like other prepaid cards, you can also get cash at many retailers when making a debit purchase using your PIN.
Where to Get the EasyPay Card
You can get the card at Wells Fargo bank branches or online. The EasyPay Card isn’t available in stores. There is no activation or purchase fee for the card.
The Wells Fargo EasyPay Card can be a relatively inexpensive prepaid card. The $5 monthly fee is reasonable. And free ATM and cash load transactions at Wells Fargo locations can save you money versus other prepaid cards.
The features stick to the basics. But its mobile app is highly rated, and the card has the essential features you’d expect.
However, the best features, like free ATM access, are limited to those in areas with easy access to Wells Fargo locations. And the monthly fee isn’t waivable like some cards, even for existing Wells Fargo customers. The undisclosed card limits may also make some reluctant to choose this card.
Best For: Prepaid card users with easy access to Wells Fargo ATMs and branches
Not So Good For: Those outside the bank’s service area; those that want more convenient cash load options or a waivable monthly fee.